August 19, 2008

Meeting Mrs. Cullimore

Beau got to go and meet his Kindergarten teacher today. Beau has been waiting for this day for so long. When he woke up this morning, got dressed first thing, in his "special" outfit that he chose it's actually the shirt Jarek had on in his Kindergarten picture. He kept asking all day long if it was time yet.. of course it wasn't until 3:30, so I heard this all day :) We went a little early, and while we waited he read a whole book about bats. Probably the same type of book Jarek was reading at the end of Kindergarten. He got such a great start by going to a reading program at the Literacy Center this past year. Jarek was getting out of school at the exact time Beau had his appointment, so I snagged him before heading over to Mrs. Cullimore's class.

Here they are reading books outside
of Mrs. Cullimore's class waiting our turn.
When it was our turn, Mrs. Cullimore came out and told Beau that she had been waiting to meet him for a while, so sweet! She took him in and showed him his cubby, and where to hang his coat. She took us over and he sat with her, and explained a few things and gave me some paperwork to read through while she did his assessment at a different desk, so that he didn't get distracted. She was amazed at how well he can read. He was telling her about how he lost a tooth, and how another one is loose. I'm sure she loved the randomness, didn't exactly show her that he can stay focused. I found out afterwards that he was trying to not be shy. "I talked to my teacher, I even told her about my teeth", not the greatest timing, but I'm glad he feels comfortable with her.

Beau and Mrs. Cullimore (I love how he has his arm behind her)
It will be an exciting year. He already knows about 7 kids in his class. I hope Mrs. Cullimore is ready!

3 comments:

Shel and Aaron said...

What a smart boy! He looks so different from last time that I saw him! So grown up!

Cara said...

Mrs. Cullimore is the best! She was Trent and Britney's teacher. He will have a marvelous time in her class. Kindergarten is such a big step.

Jewel said...

She is so sweet. Learning to read is SO exciting for the kids and the Moms too. It makes us so proud!